Monday, November 28, 2011

Manager Measurement

    When I'm not teaching art to 7th and 8th graders, I stay busy with music.  I am a co-founder of a building production company and a manager of a group of artists.  I understand that I am an essential part of the success of my artists.  When they succeed, I succeed, and if they fail, I fail.  I'm always open to assistance and always looking for ways to ensure the success of my artists.  I recently checked out an article dealing with artist management, and it touched on some key points.


    The article listed eight reasons why a artist or band needs a manager.  In this blog I wanted to share a few of those eight reasons and how they currently relate to my experience as a manager.  The first reason discussed was career guidance.  The article talks about seeing the big picture.  Being able to see things in a broader view for planning and putting things in perspective.  It's good to have a vision for your artists and for them to know that you making it a priority to see that vision reached.


    Another factor the article highlights is being a cheerleader for your artist.  The article says to be as enthusiastic as a fan when promoting and representing your artist. Enthusiasm is not a problem for me.  I used to be where my artists are. I used to write songs for myself.  However, now that I'm a manager, I get the chance to live vicariously through their work and I get excited every time they succeed.


    The third reason i'll discuss is time management.  There are so many things involved with being an artist that many arms are needed.  It's the manager's job to grow those extra arms and take care of all those additional needs.  Being that I'm a new manager, I have to wear many hats. I'm a songwriter, engineer, artist developer, contact person, promoter, scout, vocal coach, counselor, taxi, and more. It' a lot of work, but I know it will eventually pay off.

Source: http://www.artistmanagementresource.com/helpful-articles/29-8-reasons-why-a-band-or-artist-needs-a-manager.html
    

No comments:

Post a Comment