Sunday, April 17, 2011

Star Searching- The Process

I'm the co-founder of a local production/management team and I'm looking to add two roster spots.  I'm looking for either a female or male pop artist and a female hip hop artist.  I'm currently in the middle of the search process, so I decided to blog about the experience so far.


I used Craig's List to spread the word.  After a few days, I had received numerous responses to the add.  One of the first things I noticed was that some people either failed to thoroughly read my ad, or simply did not care what my ad asked.  The ad had specified my interest in adding a female hip hop artist, yet my first response to the ad was from a male.  


The ad also requested that those who were interested be professional as well.  The aforementioned male came up short in that department as well.  His response was simply "Please Contact (301-555-____)."  Along with that was an attachment of his music.  There was no introduction.  There wasn't any opening statement telling me who he was or what he does, just that one line and the attachment. NEXT!


I also received a response, again from a male, who this time had a small introduction.  However, what turned me off in this one was that instead of attaching his music, the prospect told me to "Google him."
Google you? Google you? Who are you? I can't have an artist who thinks he's a diva prematurely. NEXT!


Now don't get me wrong, I have received some decent responses, and I've already started communication and even auditioning some of them.  Everyone wasn't a total bust.  I've actually come across a male singer who I have decided to work with.  One good response however, cannot rid my mind of the many other strange replies.  Whether it's a female singer who after three or four emails back and forth finally realized that I was based in the DC area while she lived in Florida.  Or perhaps the sweet intrigued young lady; who said she was by herself when it came to music and saw my ad as an opportunity to join a team of people for a common goal, informed me after eighteen messages that her manager just worked out a deal with a label.  Wait.  You work alone, but have a manger? Right. 


All in all, I enjoy the process of looking for new talent.  It just never fails that somewhere along the line some foolishness will appear.  Stay tuned, I have another audition tomorrow evening. :)


http://www.artistshousemusic.org/videos/how+to+promote+your+career+as+an+independent+artist

No comments:

Post a Comment